The first business in Tucker was a saloon and horse race track on Fellowship Road.
In July 1864 Union soldiers camped at Henderson’s Mill, used the Brownings Court, one of the few buildings in the area they did not burn, dismantled the railroad to Stone Mountain, and formed the left wing of Sherman’s advance to Atlanta.
Although no longer a train stop for passengers, the Tucker depot is currently a CSX field office for track repair and signal maintenance.
Tucker, at 1,117 feet (340 m) feet above sea level, is the highest point of elevation on the railroad line between Atlanta and Richmond, Virginia.
Tucker, a city in DeKalb County, Georgia, was originally settled in the 1820’s. In the early 1890’s it was developed as a railroad community. Tucker voters established the town as a city in 2015, making Tucker the eighth new city in metro Atlanta over the last decade.